Tuesday, July 17, 2012

Lost in the Rainforest

Lost in the rainforest

Plans had to be altered due to the down pour we were experiencing. The original plan was to go on an 11 mile hike up to these huts (no people, no electricity, no nothing, just us) wake up, hike back and get going. However, nothing about that plan sounded appealing to anyone. So thankfully we went with another option.

We pull up to these random cabins in the middle of who knows where and are told to just hang out, nap, catch up on journals cause we were going to be stuck here until tomorrow. It's like noon. We finally got our fire place kind of thing cookin to give the frozen air a tid bit of degrees! A nice nap, bundled up in my sleep bag was actually really nice. And the fact that the sun sets at like 6pm here, it wasnt to hard to entertain ourselves. I've read the lucky one and I'm half way done with the help! I've read a lot and I love it!

Head lights pull up to our cabins and outcomes the YSA members to come for FHE! Two van full of Rotorua's young adults drove so far to come hang out with us! It was such a blast! We shared stories and ate and mingled and just loved their presence! they all are the most friendly people!

Our night sleep was again, cold in sleeping bags. It's hard to get ready for bed in the pitch dark and when the bathroom is far away and doesn't have toilet paper. So I, again, slept in the clothes I wore that day and went to bed. I think there might have only been a few nights in the past 3 weeks I haven't slept in my north face "cats meow" sleeping bag. We have a love/hate relationship.

We had to wake up bright and early to get out of there and to a school twoish hours away from our forest cabins. We get to the school and the precious 10 year olds preformed for us. They sang and danced so beautifully! It was so adorable. All their voices are like angels! After their pretty music, they did the Haka!...The dance that we all know as the rugby/football intimidating routine thingy! All us BYU kids now have it down solid and plan on having a little performance come football season. We sang them "call me maybe" and it was one of the most hilarious and embarrassing moment o my life. However, we got up and started dancing with the kids and it was awesome! Awkward moment turned fantastic when you add in dancing. We played with them in their class room and it was so tender how much they loved us. It was refreshing to be with kids again! Our goodbye was a hard one but we had to carry on with the rest of our day!

We ate lunch on the side of the road, out of the back of our vans! Lunch was a bag a rolls, nuetella, pb, dry ramen and dry cereal! Yum! Healthy eating in the south pacific!

Our redwood forest hike was next! It was incredible! So majestic being surrounded by such lush forestry! I felt like I was on the set of the hunger games. The beauty around us was truly breathtaking. I hiked with papa T, the instructor of the trip, and my soon to be professor come fall. We've grown so close and him telling me that I am like a daughter now is so cool cause I seriously LOVE his wife and daughter on this trip. We are all so bonded and I'm loving the relationships being built and strengthened on this trip!

We checked into our campsite, had some Chinese food for dinner and headed to the stake center for game night with the YSA group. We played touch rugby, some other crazy games and an awesome volleyball game! They were so fun to play with! The men are so athletic it's sick and honestly the girls are just as athletic! Every girl there was kicking butt! I was so impressed. Those islanders, I swear, are just naturally gifted with a rugby ball!

No comments:

Post a Comment